Friday, November 14, 2014

Batman Doesn't Know Beans About Dogs

And we're back to Batman, checking out issue #131: 


I don't really know the rhyme or reason of Bat-Hound being with Batman and Robin.  He actually has a home with someone else, so I'm not sure why he shows up every so often.


Well, no kidding, Sherlock.  He was just shot!


No, I don't think it's amnesia.  I think he knows quite well who you are.  You are the a-holes that put a cloth on his head, limiting his field of vision, and brought him into a situation where he got shot.  He wasn't aware the latter part of that was a possibility until... well, just a second ago, when he got shot.  He knows who you are.  He just doesn't want to have anything to do with you any more because dogs aren't stupid.


Okay, I want to know what kind of operation you give a dog that takes away his amnesia.  I'm not in the animal care field, but you can consider me skeptical.

Moving on:


That may be a perfectly innocent statement here in England, but in the US of A, it's Fun with Out of Context Dialogue! (tm!)

And here's more:


It's the "deer in the headlights" look on the kid's face that sells it.

This story appeared in a hardcover collection called Batman from the 40s to the 70s or something like that.  And this always bugged me:


It seems like Dick went to a heck of a lot of trouble there.  He scratches out letters on a penny hoping that Bruce will notice it and put together the phonetic message.  That, my friends, is pushing it.  I'm not saying Dick had to do the obvious thing like simply leave a note saying, "I'll be at the old Mica Quarry" or something like that (although he totally should have), but it seems like that's a lot of wasted effort.

That Batman from the 40s to the 70s book disappeared on me when my parents moved, but I found a replacement copy on Ebay.  I also found the Superman version.  I'd love to have the Shazam! version, but a used copy of that will run you around fifty bucks and... well, I'm married now so... you know...

See you Monday!

1 comment:

E. Bernhard Warg said...

Oh my gosh! I have the Superman and Batman "From the 30's to the 70's" books (it's definitely "30's," I just checked the actual books on my shelves), but until you mentioned it, I had completely forgotten that there was also a Shazam version (with "40's" being correct this time) which, like you, Adam, I also lack. Only around $50 you say? Maybe if I hadn't just ordered a Proton Pack...